Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 am by disarray

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Authenticity & Imrpovement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Authenticity & Imrpovement

Post by Searcher on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:36 am

The authentic Gunz feel is very nostalgic and I am glad there is one server that still represents it...

However, Gunz is/was not perfect and there are many ways to improve it.  By ignoring improvements that other private servers make, the server will have a harder time gaining traction.  I think there is a middle ground where authenticity can be maintained while the game can be just made flat out better for players.

_________
Armor:
Most private servers offer all base cosmetic items for free which is huge step up and allows for a lot of customization that the donation coins do not.    They give all the cosmetic items the same stats which is also an improvement. This allows players to chose the items they like the best without feeling min/max remorse when they lose.

It is no secret that the premium armor were lighter weight (allowing for heavier guns, more healing, heavier rings, etc.), higher stats, and about 90% of the available items the game had to offer.    Remedying this is one of the only things that private servers have ever gotten right.  

A good compromise that I have not seen a private server do is flatlined stats with level restricted and appropriate bounty pricing.  This will incentivize players to actually play and invest to make their character look how they want it to.   Which has a lot more impact and satisfaction with vanilla exp:bounty rates.

I am not opposed to donation items (read on to rings), I think 'suggesting' help with server costs is fine, but restricting 90% of the total cosmetics in the game behind a paywall is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as it was when ijji hosted Gunz.

Rings:
Vanilla rings are somewhat well designed, but again premium rings outdo them by leaps.   If all armor items are made the same weight, then rings (weight) can be balanced around gun and special item weights.  Creating a tighter, more coherent balance of the game.

These are also a less tacky solution for a premium slot.  Create a ring with appropriate bonus stats and donators can wear what they want and have their bonus stats.  

Special Items:
Lets start with the obvious, healing.

Premium healing heals twice as much per unit, weighs less overall, and has more units.  Come on now.   OK you have higher stats through donation, that is fine, but when you can heal yourself double the amount as well is when it starts getting broken in things like clan war.  These essentially become a requirement.

The new pills and vials are grossly imbalanced as they can be spammed and used mid combat with no downside.

All items that weight goes down with higher level, yet you get more of them.... that is stupid.  Have the weight start off reasonable and scale with the amount.  Maybe even remove the level requirement from these items as they are more of a weight restriction loadout choice anyways.

The adam grenades are grossly underpowered for anything except A&D.  I am not sure if you have the ability to tweak this stuff, but they would be much more usable if the cold area lasted 2-3 seconds longer and the damage was at least 2-3* on the fire.  And again they have level scalling where they weight less but you get more.

EX grenades are fine, actually a really solid item. Just need that weight adjusted properly.

We NEED magazine pouches in the store.  This should have never been a premium item as it is sometimes a necessity for questing.

Enchant Items:
I have never really liked using these as a gladiator, or as a player because they are super gaudy and nearly blind you while playing.
However I do not see any reason to gate them.  Gating mechanics behind a paywall is even worse than cosmetics.
I would personally like to see the passive effect limited to the colored sword trail and damage boosted on poison, fire, and lightning.  

Quest Items:
Stay classy Wink.

The massive charge scream is very cheesy and actually annoying for void slashing... I cannot even imagine for kodachi users.

Training sword is only a improvement and the Bokken model around is pretty good.

Why not bring THE giant sword (the only one that looks good)?    Most private servers have those 2x abominations, lets get the classic back...

All that aside, it is nice to see the old school...  Maybe it is in my head but the game seems to run and look better  here. Suspect
Searcher
MonkZ Comm. Member
MonkZ Comm. Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Authenticity & Imrpovement

Post by Monk on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:23 am

Well, we used to have cosmetics feature for armors and eveyrhing was balanced on the older client. Then, I decided to go back default.

Getting hands on premiums here isn't hard. I've even made free coin system for those who cannot donate, they can save up and purchase. Every new players are also rewarded with starting 50 Gold coins $ 5.00 worth. I've added "Vote for coins system" and Facebook share coin system as well.

The sound effects such as Crying etc wasn't enabled before, but I enabled it recently, as well as massive charge. Keep in mind these sound effects are original KGunz sound effects from 2006. Ijji never enabled them. As well as Kgunz they disabled them in 2010. We're also lead-platform server. Only difference is I've added few extra maps. Capture the flag and bounty hunter game modes. Some extra useful featufes and commands such as /fps, /myfps, F9 to see HP/AP and /ignore feature There's camara Zoom added as well.

If you're experiencing any issues or have any questions pm me

Monk
MonkZ Owner
MonkZ Owner

http://gunzduel.forum.com.bz

Back to top Go down

Post by Searcher on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Hm I did not know those sounds were in the original. Started playing when it released on ijji.  The yelps do sound good, but the charging scream does not.

Your coin system is pretty fair to be honest.  I would still like to see the stats and weights averaged for balance. So people use what they think looks good and not most efficient.

To add on to my previous though.

Something else that could use fixing from vanilla is single versus x2 weapons (especially pistols and revolvers)...   No one uses single weapons because it is harder to hit and they deal half damage.    Even with less recoil and faster reload, half damage is a huge nerf.

I think f****gunz has a nice solution of increasing the damage of single weapons to around 2/3 of the x2 version.  Lets me use my favorite gaming 'theme', a single revolver, without feeling gimped.

Overall this server is solid. Just wanted to give my feedback and suggestions on improving it.

Not sure how much programming access you have and I do not want to compare to f****, but the room tags are also really nice.   Being able to enforce a sword only duel is really helpful for glad and very popular there.
Searcher
MonkZ Comm. Member
MonkZ Comm. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Try not to mention other servers here, thank you.

If you're experiencing any issues or have any questions pm me

Monk
MonkZ Owner
MonkZ Owner

http://gunzduel.forum.com.bz

Back to top Go down

Post by Orijjinal on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 am

Most of your suggestions are basically asking to be like all other crappy pservers. What makes this server good is it's orijjinality. My only hang up is the lack of anti-lead as a game room option (it needn't be default); you shoot and it actually hits (it just works)

Orijjinal
MonkZ Comm. Member
MonkZ Comm. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Searcher on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Not really.

Most of them are objective truths, take off the rose tinted glasses.
Searcher
MonkZ Comm. Member
MonkZ Comm. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum